Saturday, June 12, 2010

Swakopmund Seas, Skies and Dunes

June 6th-7th

We had taken a local minibus from Windhoek to Swakopmund, known to many as the extreme sports capital of Namibia and possibly southern Africa.

We checked into the Desert Sky Hostel and made our way to the extreme sports booking centre, knowing full well that it closed at 2:00. We tried our luck at 2:15.

Fortunately, they made an exception for us and we were on our way to see the heavens first hand: we had signed up to skydive!



Registration to reflecting on what we just did, took but 2 short hours. However, the experience will surely last a lifetime.

As the small propeller plane ascended, so did my anxiety. We climbed higher and higher, the ground beneath us becoming more distant and more surreal.

To look out of the plane and see the world's oldest desert (the Namib). with its flowing dunes and the mighty Atlantic ocean, dancing at the edge of Africa, is a sight like no other.



As we leveled off at 10,000 feet and our instructors assured us we were not going to die, we sat at the edge of the open door. Chris left first and then I was soon to follow. I assumed the skydiving position at the edge of the door and all the fear I had, seemed to disappear.

As we left the plane, time seemed to stop. I didn't scream because it was not necessary. I remained silent and thought about how fortunate I am.

As the chute deployed and I was shot back into the air, the instructor described the flight of an eagle. As we floated back to earth, back to whatever surreal reality I am living, I understood why he said it. Everything just made sense.

We celebrated that night at the Swakop Lodge and met some local Namibians (Jason, Alex and Constancia), who were willing to celebrate with us.

The following morning, we were picked up and driven to the dunes of the Namib desert. Our legs were our chairlift, the dunes our slopes, we tried our luck at sandboarding.

Hardly as easy as it looks. As I write this, sand is falling falling out of my nose and onto the keyboard. No desert challenge comes without its rewards.

When you float over something as old as time itself, approaching speeds in excess of 70 km per hour, there is no better feeling... except for maybe skydiving. I apologize, I know I'm spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment