Monday, June 7, 2010

Ignorance Is Not Bliss

As I sat on the 20 hour bus ride between South Africa and Namibia, I gazed out the window. I admired the lush landscapes, the jagged mountains that seemed to pierce the clouds. I marveled at the large array of vegetation, fruits and flowers that painted the countryside. Each blink like a still photograph etched in my mind.

I watched the fertile land gradually become arid, the jagged peaks rounding as we headed north. I listened to Namibian adolescents discuss life, wealth and God. What I thought would be a long and arduous, almost torturous experience actually turned out to be great.

The journey also gave me time to reflect. I have come to this place, this continent; to explore, to learn and to share. Although I find myself humbled and almost guilty by how little I know know about the African people.

It's sad that I did not even know the language the black South Africans are speaking, nor how to say thank you or please in any indigenous language. What saddens me even more is how little I know about the Apartheid, which WAS going on during my lifetime!


On June 3rd, Chris and I visited Robben Island. We saw the cells where Nelson Mandela and other political prisoners were held. Our tour was even guided by a former political prisoner who was held at the prison for 8 years.

We were taught about the racial segregation and how even in prison, blacks were treated worse than other inmates: receiving less food and rights.

Now the floodgates have been opened and now I will make more of an effort to learn about this terrible time in history. Unlike the flocks of tourists that are coming for the world cup: those who are only here to party, consume and celebrate. I too, would like to partake in this, but I would also like to understand and recognize the struggles that the Black South Africans have had to endure in order to become this rainbow nation, to host this global event.

For me, ignorance is not bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment