Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Welcome


Hello everyone, and welcome to Travel Scars. This will be my attempt at keeping an ongoing and updated narrative of my travels through the vast continent of Africa, and beyond.

I’ve chosen to write this blog because I feel as though it will allow me to give a real-time account of my experiences and feelings while traveling.

Although I do realize that some family members will be reading this, I will still try to keep it as candid as possible, staying honest about what I am doing and how I feel about the events that unfold.

I’ve chosen the title of my blog for several reasons. After my hospitalization and subsequent surgery in October 2009, numerous people gave me advice on how to diminish the appearance of my surgical scars. By that time, however, I had already decided that I did not want to hide them and was actually proud of them and what they represented in my life

To me, these scars are a lesson learned, an experience had, a battle won. They serve as a reminder of the fragility of life and have now become an integral part of who I am. I see travel in much the same way: every landscape, experience and friendship; whether positive or negative, all become symbolic scars to influence how you act, think and behave.

My mentality for this trip is different. I’ve come to realize that travel is not necessarily a vacation, but it is always a trip, and as Greg Anderson once said: "focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it".

I apologize for breaking out the clichés, but this is the first time I’ve embarked on a journey with no set destination or exact time frame in which to complete it. All I know is that I am ready to let spontaneity take charge and enjoy all that comes along with it.

I cannot guarantee that what I write will always be interesting, funny or even remotely legible, but I hope you enjoy what you are about to read and don’t hesitate to send me feedback!

2 comments:

  1. A very good beginning. Have a good trip, Be safe, go in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to begin living through you :)

    ReplyDelete